Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index Hyperspin Presales & Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Record?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index -> Reseller Setup & Operation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikolas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: A Record? Reply with quote

When I try to add my reseller account I get this error

Quote:
*******.com does not resolve into 70.86.191.108. Please make sure you have set up the A record correctly.

How do I setup this A record?
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nikolas,

Could you please PM me your username? I would like to look into your settings.

Thank you.
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikolas,

The hostname xxxxx.com is currently your own website. You need to decide on a different name to be used for your reseller website. The reseller website will be used by your clients to login and use the monitoring system.

You can create a subdomain in your existing domain name (eg. monitoring.currentdomain.com ) or you can buy a new domain for this monitoring business (eg. mynewmonitoring.com ).

Once you have decided on a hostname to use. Please create a DNS A record to point the hostname to 70.86.191.108 .

Thank you.
Nikolas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: okauy Reply with quote

Thanks,

But how do I create or set this "A Record"?
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you have set xxxx.com as the default hostname. This won't work because xxxx.com is your own website.

You should set monitoring.xxxx.com as the default hostname instead (and leave alternative hostname blank).

We check your DNS and found that you use ns1.xxxxhost.com and ns2.xxxxhost.com for your domain. So you should contact your web host (xxxxhost.com) and ask them to add the A record for you. Just tell them you want to point monitoring.xxxx.com to 70.86.191.108 .

Thank you.
vince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Would you kindly list the pros and cons between using a subdomain or main domain for the reseller site please?

Especially interested in using a main domain, but not sure if it's advised.
e.g. lose control of adding new custom pages and/or images?

Many thanks,

- Vince
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no pros and cons from technical point of view. This is purely a business preference, it depends how you want to brand this service.

If you already have many other services under your company name, then it is natural to name your monitoring service under the same scheme and use a subdomain.

However, if you prefer to make this a standalone brand or create a name that is easy to remember, then use a top domain. You will not lose the ability to add custom pages because you can still use sub domain for such purposes. Eg. your reseller website appears on www.mynewmonitoring.com , and if you need to add your own contents etc you can use pages.mynewmonitoring.com etc but you will have to host those pages on your own.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you.
vince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My preference would be as a new branded top level domain.
However as mentioned, this would mean creating a subdomain not just for custom content, but also to hold custom images - even the logo Sad

Maybe you could at least provide the possibility of adding our logo from the custom theme options?

I think there is also a way for subdomains to be accessed as if a directory on cPanel servers?
i.e. www.mydomain.com/monitor/

Looking forward to finally get my reseller site created. Smile

- Vince
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your logo needs not be on the same domain. You can even put your logo on your other website (eg. http://abc.yourotherwebsite.com/dir/moredir/logo.gif ) and just provide the full URL to link to from your reseller website.

We are sorry we do not support adding logo to custom theme at this time.

We are unsure how to setup cPanel to serve subdomains as directories, but if you are using www.mydomain.com as your reseller website, then www.mydomain.com/monitor/ will not work because the A record points to our server and we do not host /monitor/ for you.

Thank you.
vince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We are sorry we do not support adding logo to custom theme at this time.

Hopefully in the near future? It's only 1 line of code in the css + the upload button as per all other custom theme images Smile

I'll try the cPanel config options for subdomains and let you know what happens.

Best wishes,

- Vince
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index -> Reseller Setup & Operation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: