Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index Hyperspin Presales & Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Email Time Delay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Email Time Delay Reply with quote

I am getting a report time delay, the last being 12 minutes after the event. Admittedly, I have a delay of 5 minutes between mail checks with my email client, but this means there is still around a 7 minute delay. There again, I don't think the received time actually has anything to do with what time my email client receives it, so, perhaps it is a 12 minute delay anyway. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you PM me your username? I'll be happy to take a look.
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the PM.

The "received time" displayed by your email client may indicate the time emails were received by your email client, rather than the time they reached your mail server. There are various external factors that will affect the time emails take to reach your mail server and email client. For this discussion, we will use the "sent time" (ie. the Date header of emails) as reference instead.

The following was an alert sent at 11:37 PM. There was a 6 minutes delay in reporting this outage due to the lengthy confirmation process.

XXXXX
DOWN at Aug 05 2007 11:31 PM (GMT +10:00)
Err: connection timeout

The time in the alert indicates the time the error was initially detected. An alert will only be sent once the outage has been confirmed by 4 monitoring stations (in order to eliminate false alarms). The confirmation process can take between one to a few minutes depending on the type of errors. For instantaneous errors such as "connection closed", the time is about 1 minute, but for timeout errors we will have to wait for the request to timeout (1 minute x 4 monitoring stations + some idle time between checks) and thus a longer delay.

There are a few internal settings that we can adjust (per account basis) to shorten this delay. In particular, we suggest to use 2 monitoring stations for confirmation and a timeout of 30 sec. This will reduce the delay to 1-2 minutes even for timeout errors.

Would you like us to proceed with this adjustment?

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: