Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index Hyperspin Presales & Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

monitoring questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarBootBay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: monitoring questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I am ordering my VPS (with cPanel/WHM) in the next few days and want to monitor: HTTP, HTTPS, POP3, SMTP and MySQL

Now the question is how do I monitor MySQL as if I remember from my last VPS, for security reasons I setup MySQL to only allow access via localhost. Now do I just open the MySQL port 3306 in the firewall and get Hyperspin to monitor port 3306, or do I need to do something else, if so could you point me in the right direction ?

Same goes for HTTP (80), HTTPS (443), POP3 (110) and SMTP (25) as these will be open in the firewall and accepting request. Do I just set it up via the Hyperspin control panel ?

Also should I use an IP address or a domain address for the hostname ?

Final question, I read somewhere I should not do this on a shared ip address, as it could affect something, what does it affect ?

Thanks Smile

Regards,
Garry
choonkeng
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: monitoring questions Reply with quote

Quote:
Now the question is how do I monitor MySQL as if I remember from my last VPS, for security reasons I setup MySQL to only allow access via localhost. Now do I just open the MySQL port 3306 in the firewall and get Hyperspin to monitor port 3306, or do I need to do something else, if so could you point me in the right direction ?

There are 2 ways to monitor MySQL:

1. Make MySQL listen on TCP port 3306 and make sure our IPs are allowed to access your MySQL port.

2. If you do not want to enable TCP port 3006, you can write a script to check MySQL status and have our service monitor this script instead. More info at http://www.hyperspin.com/faq.php?action=showanswer&faqid=24 .

Quote:
Same goes for HTTP (80), HTTPS (443), POP3 (110) and SMTP (25) as these will be open in the firewall and accepting request. Do I just set it up via the Hyperspin control panel ?

If these ports are open, then you can just setup monitoring in the control panel.

Quote:
Also should I use an IP address or a domain address for the hostname ?

We recommend people to monitor by domain as this allows us to check whether your DNS is functioning properly.

Quote:
Final question, I read somewhere I should not do this on a shared ip address, as it could affect something, what does it affect ?

In shared hosting environment, every customers on a server use the same IP. If a customer monitors his IP rather than domain, then the traffic caused by monitoring will not be billed to his account. Generally, this will upset the web host if everybody does the same.

If you are a web host, then this will not bother you.
CarBootBay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, I will make a script and see how that goes.
So would for example make a script to retrive 'database is up' from database ?

Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hyperspin Presales & Support Forum Index -> Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: